5 THINGS YOU CAN DO TO HELP A DOMESTIC VIOLENCE VICTIM
- Become informed – Learn more about domestic violence by contacting the crisis intervention center in your community and guide the victim to these services.
- Lend a sympathetic ear – Offer support and be willing to listen and believe what someone is telling you.
- Remind them the violence is not their fault – The abuser is the one responsible for their own behavior.
- Help them develop a safety plan – Encourage the victim to develop a plan to protect themselves, and their children, if their partner becomes abusive again. Become a part of the victim’s safety plan.
- Know when to intervene – Domestic violence is a crime, and if you know that it is occurring, call the police immediately.